Rife with scandal or just the right time to walk away? Stassi Schroeder, Lauren Conrad and Nicole “Snooki” Polizzi are among the reality stars who left their shows in surprising fashion.

Schroeder, for one, was fired from Vanderpump Rules after eight seasons alongside costar/frenemy Kristen Doute. Bravo confirmed their departures in June 2020 after their past racially insensitive actions toward former castmate Faith Stowers resurfaced.

“It is important that I continue to take accountability for what I have said and done, while pushing myself to do better. I have grown significantly from the person I was then, and I am still filled with remorse and regret for the hurt I caused,” Schroeder wrote via Instagram days before her dismissal. “I am grateful for the people in my life that continue to check me and push me to evolve into a more educated person.”

Not all reality TV exits are plagued by controversy. Polizzi, for her part, left Jersey Shore: Family Vacation after three seasons, announcing her retirement in December 2019. She later explained exclusively to Us Weekly that her decision stemmed from her children’s reactions to her filming away from home, pointing out that her absences “scarred” son Lorenzo.

“Anytime I say ‘Mommy’s going to work,’ he’s like, ‘Mom, you cannot leave me again like you did. I was so upset. I don’t want you leaving,’” she recalled in January 2020. “So now every time I say I’m leaving for work, he goes, ‘How long are you leaving?’ It kind of gives him anxiety now. I can’t do that anymore. They are definitely happy that I’m not going to be leaving for days on end now.”

Polizzi spoke to husband Jionni LaValle about her decision, followed by the cast and crew. “[Producers] know they can’t change my mind, so everyone accepted it and they respected it,” she told Us. “They were always very accommodating when it came to us and moms and working to also being with our kids.”

Scroll down to revisit the most shocking reality TV exits of all time — from The BachelorAmerican IdolTeen Mom and more!


Kelsey Owens
The Siesta Key star announced in August 2022 via Instagram that she was fired from the hit MTV series after four seasons. Larry Marano/Shutterstock
Noella Bergener and Dr. Jen Armstrong
The Real Housewives of Orange County season 16 newcomers both announced in July 2022 that they were leaving the Bravo series after just one season. NBC (2)
Fredrik Eklund
The realtor announced in January 2022 that he left both Bravo's Million Dollar Listing New York and Million Dollar Listing Los Angeles. “After an amazing 11 years, I’ve decided it’s time for the next chapter of my life, and to leave Million Dollar Listing. It’s an end of an era and a new start for me,” he wrote in a lengthy Instagram post. Eklund had nothing but praise for the show, saying he was "eternally grateful" for the experience. "I've always said it's been like elevated therapy to film and then watch my crazy self (the good, the bad, the ugly). I got to be myself even when it was difficult," he added. He said the reality franchise "gave us superpowers" and allowed his business to grow, but he was ready for new challenges. "I can't wait for you to see what's next," the Bravolebrity added. Rob Latour/Shutterstock
Bobby Bones
The Dancing With the Stars alum was a mentor on American Idol for three seasons, but a new contract prevented him from returning for season 20. “And some of you noticed, I’m not in the Idol promos this season. My contract [with] my new network won’t let me do another show right now,” Bones shared via an Instagram Story in December 2021. “Love Idol, BTW. Was a great 4 years.” Jack Plunkett/Invision/AP/Shutterstock
Joe Gatto
The New York native left Impractical Jokers in the middle of filming season 9 due to personal problems. “Alongside my friends, I’ve devoted a decade of my life to building this franchise and couldn’t be prouder of what has been accomplished,” he wrote in a statement in December 2021. “However, due to some issues in my personal life, I have to step away. Bessy and I have decided to amicably part ways, so now I need to focus on being the best father and co-parent to our two incredible kids.” Matt Licari/Invision/AP/Shutterstock
Frank Fritz
Frank Fritz exited History Channel's American Pickers after 10 years of cohosting alongside Mike Wolfe in July 2021. "I have known Frank for as long as I can remember, he's been like a brother to me. The journey that Frank, Dani [Colby], and I started back in 2009, like all of life, has come with its highs and lows, blessings and challenges, but it has also been the most rewarding," Wolfe said in a statement at the time. "I will miss Frank, just like all of you, and I pray for the very best and all good things for him on the next part of his journey."   History Channel
Chèrie Chan and Jessey Lee
The Bling Empire couple announced their departure from the Netflix reality show ahead of its second season. The engaged pair told TMZ in July 2021 that they’ve decided to move on from the show and instead focus on their family, business and other endeavors. The duo also revealed they were grateful for the opportunity to be included in the first season and wish the show continued success moving forward. Chelsea Lauren/Shutterstock
Evelyn Lozada
In June 2021, the Brooklyn native announced her departure from Basketball Wives after nine seasons on the VH1 series. "I think that it's time for me to open up the universe to other things," she said of the "hard decision" during an episode of E!'s "Just the Sip" podcast. "It's not the most positive energy. Now I have a conscience about what I say and what I do and what my kids are going to see. ... It's time." John Salangsang/Invision/AP/Shutterstock
Jax Taylor and Brittany Cartwright
The couple announced their departure from Vanderpump Rules in December 2020 after eight years on the Bravo series. "The last 8 years on Vanderpump Rules have been some of the most challenging, rewarding and fulfilling years of my life," Taylor wrote via Instagram at the time. "Although this is difficult to share, Brittany and I will not be returning for another season of Vanderpump Rules. We are excited to take this time to focus on our growing family and share with you our new endeavors. @bravotv, @evolutionusa and our Vanderpump castmates will always remain close to our hearts. Thank you to all the fans who have shared our journey with us and supported us through everything. We love you." Gregory Pace/Shutterstock
Chelsea Houska
In November 2020, Houska announced that she was leaving Teen Mom 2 after 10 seasons. "After much thought and discussion with my family and friends, Cole [DeBoer] and I have decided that this season will be our last. We are forever thankful to MTV and our crew, who are like family to us," she wrote via Instagram at the time. MTV
NeNe Leakes
The Real Housewives of Atlanta star announced she was exiting the show in September 2020 after "emotional negotiations" with the network. "It's been hard and I have made a hard, difficult decision to not be part of Real Housewives of Atlanta season 13," she said on a video posted to her YouTube channel. "It wasn't an easy decision for me. It was hard." Bravo
Dorinda Medley
The Real Housewives of New York City personality announced in August 2020 that she would no longer be part of the Bravo series after six seasons. "What a journey this has been. I have laughed and carried and tried to Make it Nice," she wrote in a Facebook post at the time, thanking her cast mates for the "constant stimulation and entertainment" they gave over the years. "But all things must come to an end. This was a great outlet for me to heal when my late husband Richard passed away. I have met so many interesting people and learned so much about myself, about life and about women along the way. ... I wish you all health, happiness and success." Andrew H. Walker/Shutterstock
Stassi Schroeder and Kristen Doute
The Vanderpump Rules stars were fired in June 2020 — along with newcomers Max Boyens and Brett Caprioni — following past racially charged remarks. Shutterstock (2)
Lauren Conrad
The Hills leading lady left the MTV show during season 5, with her farewell episode airing in May 2009. She was replaced by former Laguna Beach costar Kristin Cavallari and made an appearance in the series finale in July 2010. Conrad — who went on to launch a successful clothing line, write a handful of books and welcome two children with husband William Tell — opted not to return for the revival, The Hills: New Beginnings. Mtv/Kobal/Shutterstock
Gabrielle Union
NBC confirmed in November 2019 that Union and Julianne Hough — both joined America’s Got Talent for season 14 — would not return as judges. Reports later surfaced that the Bring It On star was subjected to racial discrimination on the set, and she eventually filed a complaint. Trae Patton/NBC
Farrah Abraham
Abraham confirmed to Us in February 2018 that Teen Mom OG replaced her with Mackenzie McKee. The news came after the My Teenage Dream Ended author sued Viacom for allegedly firing her for “not conforming to gender stereotypes.” Viacom denied her claims at the time. MTV
Dan Spilo
Spilo became the first player ever ejected from Survivor during a December 2019 episode after contestant Kellee Kim complained that his touching made her uncomfortable. He was removed from season 39 following “another incident, which happened off-camera and did not involve a player.” Spilo later apologized for his actions. Robert Voets/CBS Entertainment
Nicole ‘Snooki’ Polizzi
Polizzi announced her retirement from Jersey Shore: Family Vacation in December 2019. She left of her own accord to spend more time with her kids. Mtv/Kobal/Shutterstock
Jenelle Evans
Us exclusively revealed in May 2019 that MTV cut ties with the Teen Mom 2 star after her husband, David Eason, admitted to killing their family dog. He later walked back his claims. MTV
Sharna Burgess
The Dancing With the Stars pro was axed in August 2019 ahead of season 28. She notably won the previous season with partner Bobby Bones. Artem Chigvintsev was also passed over for the opportunity to return in season 28. Mediapunch/Shutterstock
Jennifer Hudson
Hudson shockingly placed seventh during season 3 of American Idol in 2004. She went on to win an Oscar for her role in Dreamgirls nearly three years later. Matt Sayles/Invision/AP/Shutterstock
Vicki Gunvalson
Gunvalson announced her exit from The Real Housewives of Orange County in January 2020 after 14 seasons. A source revealed at the time that she was not asked back since she was unwilling to appear in a “friend” role. Costar Tamra Judge confirmed her departure just one day later. Gregory Pace/Shutterstock
Abby Lee Miller
Miller quit Dance Moms in March 2017 amid her bankruptcy fraud case. She was sentenced to 366 days in prison and released in March 2018. The reality star attempted to stage a comeback with Abby’s Virtual Dance Off, but the Lifetime series was canceled in June 2020 after her racist remarks resurfaced. MediaPunch/Shutterstock
Heidi Klum
Klum and Tim Gunn left Project Runway in September 2018 after 16 seasons. The duo went on to launch Making the Cut on Amazon Prime Video in March 2020. Kristina Bumphrey/Starpix/Shutterstock
Bethenny Frankel
Us confirmed in August 2019 that Frankel planned to exit The Real Housewives of New York City after season 11. She previously left the show during season 3 but returned in season 7. Rodolfo Martinez/Bravo
Rozlyn Papa
During the second episode of Jake Pavelka’s Bachelor season, which aired in 2010, Chris Harrison accused Papa of having an inappropriate relationship with a producer on the show. She gave back her rose, which she received on an earlier group date, and exited. She later claimed that she only interacted with the staffer to use his phone in order to contact her child. ABC