Where they lead, fans will follow! Lauren Graham, Alexis Bledel and more Gilmore Girls cast members have repeatedly teased a possible season 2 of the Year in the Life revival.

The original series aired from October 2000 to May 2007, but viewers did not get closure since the show was canceled. Graham (Lorelai Gilmore), Bledel (Rory Gilmore) and more cast members returned in November 2016 for a four-part revival on Netflix titled Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life. However, fans were again left hanging after — spoiler alert — the final episode ended with the bombshell that Rory was pregnant.

Ever since, there has been speculation that the Gilmores could return for a second season of the revival, and the cast and crew behind the hit have kept the chatter alive, although there has not been any official confirmation of a follow-up.

“I think [we would do more] if the time is right and everybody is in the mood — because that’s how it happened before. We all sort of saw each other at a festival and kind of went, ‘Hey! No one hates each other.’ And decided to do it,” creator Amy Sherman-Palladino exclusively told Us Weekly in January 2018. “[It] could happen again — absolutely.”

Executive producer Daniel Palladino noted at the time that the story line would change depending on when they wrote more episodes. “It really depends on when we attack the story. Coming back eight or nine years after the original series for the four movies we did — it dictates partly what the story is going to be,” he said. “And the death of Ed Herrmann was unfortunately one of the things that changed for the cast so it changed what the characters were going through. It really just depends on when we do it. We can do it a year from now, two years, five years, 10 years. It would be different.”

For more hot celebrity news, listen to Us Weekly editors dish on top topics & trends with these clips from the Hot Hollywood Podcast!

Sherman-Palladino provided an update in October 2020. “There’s no [obstacle] behind it except for lives and people doing [other] things,” she explained during a Woodstock Film Festival virtual panel discussion. “[A Year in the Life] was one of those kismet moments where we were kind of all looking at each other and going, ‘Well, let’s take a couple of months and hang out together and remind each other why we drove each other crazy.’ And it was a wonderful experience. I really do believe that if the time is right and the girls are where they need to be in their lives [it could happen].”

Scroll through the gallery below to read everything the cast has said about another revival!


First and Foremost
Mere months after A Year in the Life debuted, Graham and Bledel addressed the possibility of reprising their roles again. “I don’t know if there is a need to do more. I would never want it to feel like we overstayed our welcome,” the Parenthood alum noted during Deadline’s The Contenders Emmys panel in April 2017. “There’s probably a way to keep these characters alive, but I don’t know if that’s the best thing for them.”   The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants star, for her part, said she would be “interested in telling a story that is dynamic and that I sort of relate to and can hook into.”  Eric Charbonneau/Shutterstock
Time to Give Up?
Milo Ventimiglia, who portrayed Rory’s onetime boyfriend Jess Mariano, seemed to hint that there were no discussions about season 2 in July 2017. “If you go to Warner Bros. or to Amy or Lauren or Alexis, everything is generated by the fans and trying to will things to existence,” the actor exclusively told Us.   The This Is Us star then detailed why the show had to end at some point: “You can’t have something live on forever. You have to accept that there is a time and a moment where your favorite show is on and you get to see stories of these characters but these characters have to go on. These actors that play them, the writers that write them, they have to move on.”   Dan Steinberg/Invision/AP/Shutterstock
The Wedding Pitch
Scott Patterson (a.k.a. Luke Danes) revealed what he would like to see if another season happened. “Well, I’ll tell you one thing, [there] better be a big, fat wedding!” he told Us in August 2019. “I think that’s what we should give [fans]. … I think now it’s time to give them, after 20 years, what they want.”   The actor added that there is “always hope” for more episodes. “If everybody can make the right deal, then it’ll happen,” he teased.  Netflix/Kobal/Shutterstock
Team Logan
Matt Czuchry, who played another of Rory’s boyfriends, Logan Huntzberger, told Us in January 2021 that he knows the identity of her baby’s father. However, he has kept the secret to himself because “if we do come back, [the Palladinos] may change their minds. So it could become somebody else.” The Resident star also raved that he would “be lucky to work” with the producers again, adding that Bledel, Graham and Ventimiglia are “really important to me.”   “If I was writing it, he would be with Rory,” Czuchry said of season 2.   Ventimiglia, meanwhile, told Us in March 2021 that he never got an answer to the baby mystery. "Maybe I’ll call Mattie and ask him like, ‘Hey, man, so whose kiddo was it?’" he quipped. "Cause like, it wasn’t Jess. That was the only thing I knew. I knew it wasn’t Jess’ baby. I’m positive it wasn’t Jess’ baby." Netflix/Kobal/Shutterstock
The Lorelai Clause
Graham divulged in March 2021 that she always keeps the option for more Gilmore Girls on the table. “I put that window into all my new jobs just in case,” she told SiriusXM’s Jessica Shaw. “And it’s not — I don’t want to start any new rumors — it’s not for any concrete reason.”   Sherman-Palladino made her insist on the contract clause. “I have a loyalty and an openness to working with her, first of all. And because we could never have predicted [a revival] in the past,” the actress continued. “So that door is open. Is it creatively warranted? Is it, you know, something? I don’t know. I don’t know. But yes, technically yes.”   Graham’s confession led to new speculation about season 2. “I don’t ever say never,” she told Collider in April 2021. “I still talk to Amy and Kelly [Bishop] and Alexis. There is not a plan for it. Everyone is doing their own thing. If that came up again, I love that character so much and I love Amy. I will work with her, anytime. It would just be a matter of responsibility to the fans and what we could give them that’s deserving of their devotion, or should it just live in reruns. So, I don’t know.” Netflix/Kobal/Shutterstock
Never Say Never
“I don't know about [a second] Gilmore [Girls] revival, but of course, that's always in the cards for us to do something together,” Ventimiglia exclusively told Us in February 2022. “You know [creators Amy and Daniel] are dear friends of mine and they've always been really kind to me since my mid-twenties and when they call, I show up. So, I'm sure we'll be working together for a long time to come.” Saeed Adyani/Netflix